Best Radar Detectors
Getting the best radar detector is currently one of the most challenging concerns that many drivers and vehicle owners need to accomplish. This is because doing so helps them to avoid getting into trouble with speed enforcers who are dispatched to enforce the speed limit of every locality.
In addition to that, the detector is also considered as a good way to constantly remind and encourage drivers to stick to the designated speed of the area where they are driving to avoid the accident. The detector does this by giving warnings to the driver of the presence of police traps and also signals about the speed limit in the area.
Thus, with a good radar detector, the driver remains aware of the speed of the vehicle driven as well as reminded to follow the limit most of the time. Here is a good read for those who want to dig deep into “what is a Radar Detector“.
Proven Ways to Look for a Good Radar Detector
Luckily, Looking for the best detector nowadays is much easier compared to that of the previous years. This is because the number of available options continues to increase and buyers have a lot of choices to choose from. Aside from the abundance of available options, interested buyers can also look for the best detectors by conducting any of the following common sense handy Tips.
Personal search serves as one of the best ways to look for the best radar detectors that are offered for sale. To do this, the buyer can go to the nearest shops and check the available products that the shops have. In order to get the best and the cheapest from what is offered a buyer should try to visit as many shops as he can, take down the prices of a particular product that he wants to purchase, list down all the available prices and select a particular store that offers the lowest price.
Aside from personally looking for the best detectors offered on sale, many buyers also prefer to conduct online searches and successfully obtained the desired results from doing it. This can be accomplished by checking the websites of reliable sellers and assess the features as well as prices of the products that they offer for sale. The buyers can also check more websites, look for detectors the best suit their needs and choose the models that come in prices that they can afford.
Here we have a comprehensive list of The Best Radar Detector Available in the Market
Whistler LR-300GP Laser Radar Detector
The Whistler LR-300GP Laser Detector is a popular radar detector models sold in the market today. It comes with a reliable GPS technology along with a special feature that allows total laser detection. The device is capable of eliminating various alerts from radar-based traffic light sensors that usually confuse the user. It also works well in providing the needed protection against laser X-band, K-band, and the super wideband Ka.
- Comes with dimensions of 7.8x2x6.1 inches
- Has a weight of 9.6 ounces
- Equipped with an internal GPS that generate red light and speed camera alerts
- Can detect laser signals like the Laser Ally™, Laser Atlanta Stealth ® mode, and LTI TruSpeed ®S
- Fitted with a bright OLED that clearly displays valuable information
- Comes with 3 city modes and 1 highway mode
- Features a quiet and auto quiet mode
- Comes with selectable tone alerts
- Can detect signals and the presence of VG-2 radar detector
- Equipped with the Traffic Low Signal Rejection function
- Has a 360-degree radar signal detecting mechanism
- Lightweight and compact
- Very user-friendly
- Provides immediate response to brief radar bursts
- Has distinct audible alerts based on band signals detected
- Has an automatic save feature
- Comes with 360-degree protection against lasers and radars
- Provides information about the highway safety transmitters’ locations
- Effectively reduces false alerts
- Comes with a longer detection range and increased field of view
- Decently priced
- Works well on fewer radar bands
- Easily gets out of stock
- Not sold with a warranty
- Might not be eligible for international shipping
Many buyers prefer the Whistler LR-300GP Laser Radar Detector over the other models since it is very durable, compact and lightweight. It also comes with a very user-friendly and simple design and provides a 360-degree radar and laser protection. Aside from that, this detector is fitted with an internal GPS for the red light and speed camera alerts. Finally, the Whistler LR-300GP Laser Radar Detector effectively detects the presence of the VG-2, one of the most common radar detector detectors.
Valentine One Radar Detector
The Valentine One Radar Detector is among the few best-performing detectors in the market at present. It is equipped with a long list of standard features that a lot of buyers are expecting from a good radar detector. Aside from that, the Valentine One Radar Detector features a compact, durable and portable construction making it an ideal alternative for motorists who are in great need of the protection against the radar and laser equipment employed by speed enforcers. On top of that, interested buyers also prefer to purchase this Valentine One although it is sold at a relatively higher price since it is one of the few radar detectors with multiple antennas.
- Comes dimensions of 6×2.5×4 inches
- Has a weight of about 1.7 pounds
- Equipped with two radar antennas
- Can detect almost all types of radar units
- Works well in X, K, Ka, and Super Wideband Ka signals
- Shows the band and strength of the radar signal it detects
- Has an indicator that points the directions of the sources of detected signals
- Comes with an excellent laser reception function
- Comes with hardware and software that can be regularly updated
- Features an arrow-shaped directional indicators
- Features 360-degree laser protection
- Has Ku band detection feature
- Portable and durable
- Compact and lightweight
- Made of durable and high-quality components
- Protects the vehicle against laser from all sides
- Has front-facing and rear-facing radar antennas
- Notifies the user about the band and strength of detected radar signals
- Can automatically pinpoint the directions of the sources of detected signals
- Can be conveniently mounted and detached from the windshield
- Does not easily gets outdated
- Informs the user about the number of detected radar units within range
- Has an expensive price
- Might not be invisible from radar detector-detectors
- Software and hardware updates require extra expenses
- Might not be shipped in some areas outside the USA
- Does not have a digital display that most of the other radar detector models have
- Easily gets out of stock
Despite of its relatively higher price, the Valentine One Radar Detector many buyers still prefer to buy this over the other available and cheaper models since the device comes with two antennas that are capable of detecting radar signals in front and rear. This radar detector also comes with 360-degree protection against lasers. Finally, it provides the user with a lot of useful information about the signals it detects particularly the band, the strength and the directions of the sources of radar signals it detects.
Escort Solo S3 Cordless Radar Detector
The Escort Solo S3 Cordless Radar Detector is currently one of the most in-demand radar detectors offered on sale in the market. It has become a popular option for a lot of buyers since it is blessed with a lightweight, functional and compact design. Aside from that, it bundles a long list of useful standard features like the longer range protection, uncompromised laser protection, and high-resolution graphics display. On top of that, the Escort Solo S3 is praised for the convenience that its cordless construction it provides. It also consumes lesser amount of power and features a programmable AutoPower feature that automatically turns it off when not in use to conserve battery.
- Has dimensions of 5.2×2.9×1.2 inches
- Weighs about 1.1 pounds
- Comes with a sleek and cordless design
- Powered by 2 AA batteries
- Offers long-range radar warning on all bands of radar including the K-band, X-band, and the Superwide Ka-band
- Comes with the Digital Signal Processing feature that reduces false alarms
- Makes use of low-noise laser sensors responsible for longer range warning and wider field of view against lasers
- Equipped with 9 different features that are user-programmable
- Features a High-Resolution Graphic Display
- Provides clear messages for every laser, radar and SWS signal detected
- Provides information about the strength of the signal it detects via the bar-graph and expert meter
- Supplies a unique visual and audible alerts when it detects signals from Safety Warning Signals
- Compact and lightweight
- Made of durable materials
- Very portable and can be conveniently taken on the go
- Comes with a sleek, decent and user-friendly design
- Cordless and power efficient
- Works well with all radar bands
- Provides longer range warning and wider field of view against laser encounters
- Has DSP that effectively eliminates false alarms
- Has 9 highly customizable features
- Stores the user’s preferred settings when turned off or when the battery is replaced
- Comes with a very clear OLED display
- Measures the strength of signals detected
- Sold along with a 1-year limited warranty
- Product availability is quite limited
- Sold at a relatively higher price
- Might not be available for international shipping
Although it is sold at a relatively higher price, many buyers still prefer to go for the Escort Solo S3 Cordless Radar Detector since this product offers a long list of useful standard features. First off, it comes with a sleek, portable and very user-friendly design. Second, it has a cordless design and makes use of 2 AA batteries as power source making it an ideal option for individuals who are fond of rental cars but don’t want to get into trouble with speed enforcers. Finally, the Solo S3 is capable of detecting all laser and radar bands as well as in providing its user with fast and accurate signal warnings.
Escort Passport S55 High-Performance Pro Radar Detector
The Escort Passport S55 High-Performance Pro Radar and Laser Detector is known to be among the most advanced radar and laser detector models in the market at present. In fact, many buyers choose this over the other available options since it was able to provide very reliable performance. In addition to that, the Escort Passport S55 was built to detect all laser and radar bands and provide long-range warnings. On top of that, the detector is sold at a very affordable price, making it a good buy for consumers with limited budgets.
- Weighs about 1.1 pounds
- Comes with dimensions of 8.4×8.2×2 inches
- Capable of providing a long-range warning on all radar and laser bands
- Has a Digital Signal Processing feature that reduces false alarms and provides a maximum range
- Comes with an AutoSensitivity mode that intelligently identifies other radar sources from real threats
- Features the company’s own Traffic Signal Rejection that rejects existing interstate traffic sensors
- Features a 3-high-resolution meter modes and 3-types of meter displays
- Has a Highway, Auto, and Auto No X settings
- Works compatible with the ESCORT Live, the company’s exclusive ticket-protecting network that provides real-time updates
- Lightweight, portable and compact
- Provides an advanced radar and laser detection performance
- Provides long-range warnings
- Detects almost all laser and radar bands
- Can intelligently filter false alarms
- Warns the user about the upcoming alerts that other users in the area have received and reported via the ESCORT Live
- Provides the user with the access to the local speed limit data
- Provides clear alert information, text for programming and signal strength
- Can be immediately used after taking it out of the box
- Sold at a decent price
- Easily gets out of stock
- Might not be eligible for shipping in some countries
- Not sold along with an applicable warranty
- Requires a longer learning curve to maximize the benefits it provides
The Escort Passport S55 High-Performance Pro Radar and Laser Detector remain as a bestselling radar detector model in the market today. This is because it is known as one of the most advanced and high-performance models offered for sale. In addition to that, the Escort Passport S55 is loaded with a long list of standard features such as the capability to detect all laser and radar bands, ability to reject interstate traffic sensors and efficiently eliminates false alarms. This detector is also a top option for buyers since it has a decent and relatively affordable price.
Escort Passport 9500ix Radar/Laser Detector
The Escort Passport 9500ix Radar/Laser Detector is an advanced radar detector. Many buyers prefer this over the other available options since it effectively detects almost all bands of radar used for speed enforcement purposes. The good thing about this radar is that it covers the front and rear. Thus, the possibility of being caught by speed cameras or hidden speed traps off guard is eliminated. On top of that, it comes with the technology that effectively eliminates the pesky false alarms and makes use of a GPS system which is used in pinpoint navigation.
- Comes with a dimension of 2.9×5.3×1.4 inches
- Weighs about 8.3 ounces
- Features 360-degree protection against all bands of radars and lasers
- Provides an effective variable-speed radar performance
- Comes with a database for safety cameras
- Features a new Trulock Filter powered by GPS
- Comes with crystal-clear voice alerts and an intelligent volume control
- Equipped with a brilliant blue display and a 5-level brightness control
- Very portable and durable
- Very lightweight
- Provides a 360-degree protection
- Works well on detecting all bands of radar and laser
- Has an auto-learn feature
- Equipped with mark location features and speed alert
- Web-based location database updates ready
- Offers a comprehensive set of user-selectable preferences
- Has mute, auto-mute and smart-mute functions
- Sold along with a built-in earphone jack
- Features a built-in safety warning system
- Sold at the generous package which includes a comprehensive manual for the owner, a quick reference card, a coiled SmartCord and a quick-release mount for the windshield
- Backed by a warranty policy
- Product availability is quite limited
- Requires a Windows-based computer for the location database and detector software
- Might not be available for shipping in some countries
- Sold at a relatively higher price
Despite of its relatively expensive price, the Escort Passport 9500ix Radar/Laser Detector proves to be a good buy for radar detector buyers since it is loaded with a long list of useful standard features. In addition to that, it provides 360-degree protection against all radar and laser bands, has a speed alert function and marks location features and a built-in warning system.
Best Radar Detector: The Verdict
While it seems like you are getting a “detector for life” with the ultra-expensive Valentine One radar detector with its promise of software and hardware updates—and there have been quite a few since its release, its refusal to be equipped with GPS and a false alert filtering system as Escort Solo S3’s DSP is slowly giving other radar detectors a lead in the race.
With the changing tech milieu of our roads, the Whistler LR-300GP and Escort models are gaining traction in the field. They are more agile in detecting speed traps and can eliminate false alerts. The Escort Passport S55 High-Performance Pro Radar and Laser Detector, in particular, is leading the game with its crowd-sourced alerts via Escort Live and its ability to detect a range of speed detectors, from radar to red light cameras.
Nevertheless, these four are some of the best radar detectors on the market. And depending on how advanced the system used in your area is and your budget, you can find your match with these devices. There’s the old-school and reliable Valentine One, the affordable yet effective Whistler LR-300GP, and the leading-edge Escort radar detection models.
Addressing Some FAQs on Radar Detectors
Are radar detectors legal?
The legality of the use of radar detectors is different in every country. While some countries approve of its use, others don’t such as Saudi Arabia and Italy. In other countries, selling or owning one can even put you behind bars! For countries like the US and Australia, various state laws apply.
So, before purchasing one, be in-the-know of federal and state laws regarding the device. You would not want to be stuck with one of the best systems only to find out you can’t use it in your area.
What old and new technologies are used for speed detection?
On-the-road speed detection has come a long way. From the bulky and high-powered X-band radar guns and the shorter-range K-band speed detectors, there are now stalker guns operating in Ka and Ku bands. Some police enforcement departments have even moved on to LIDAR or laser guns.
Similarly, radar detection tools have also upgraded. With either camp intent in upping each other, you can expect more developments in either field.
If you should know, besides radar guns and detectors, there are radar detector detectors and radar jammers. However, expect radar—or laser—jammers to face more limitations than radar or laser detectors.
Besides those speed guns, there is also the red lights camera to watch out for.
What is the best technology to counter speed traps?
The best technology to counter speed traps is not necessarily the most modern. A laser detector, for example, is not the best weapon against a radar gun. In the same way, a radar gun operating in a Ka-band cannot be dodged by an old radar detector that can only detect guns in an X-band.
Conversely, some technologies can work across old and new speed-reading equipment. The GPS and web-based crowd alerts, for example, are quite effective.
Thus, the best technology to counter speed traps is one that is compatible and all-encompassing. Thankfully, recent devices are equipped with laser and radar detection technology and can operate in all bands. These will speed-trap-proof you for many years to come until the next upgrade arrives on the police enforcement’s end.